Monday, October 19, 2009

Josh Safe after Close Call with a Car

This afternoon I took the boys on a walk outside around the block. It was a perfect day, warm and sunny with the bright array of fall colors. Josh rode his tricycle while I pushed Nate in the double stroller. We were having so much fun when all of a sudden a car that had just driven past us on the road starts backing up into the driveway that we were walking through. Josh was just in front of the stroller on his bike and she was within less than a second backing up right into him. My fight or flight response (adrenaline) kicked in and I jumped right behind her car screaming and pounding on it for the lady to stop. She just barely nicked Josh and he walked away with just a scratch on his right cheek. Luckily she heard me and stopped right away and Josh also is a smart kid and started pedaling backwards as soon as he noticed. The other scary thing is that I let go of the stroller to try to save Josh, but the stroller kept going with Nate in it and ended up right behind her car as well. Everything happened so fast. But I feel so blessed that both of my boys are okay and that she didn't hit me either since I jumped behind her car as well. I asked her what she was doing. Her response was I was backing in my driveway to drop off my daughter. My questions is who backs up into their driveway to drop off their child?!!! I then asked her if she saw my son or me(might I add that I was wearing a hot pink shirt). She said she had not seen either of us. I think she felt really bad. It makes me sick thinking about what could of happened if Josh was just a few feet further in front of me, I really don't think I would have made it in time to stop her. It just makes me sick to my stomach. Poor Josh is now a little scared to ride his tricycle. He now goes really slow and will only ride right next to me. At least he is being cautious.

7 comments:

Gage said...

wow- that's scary. I always hate riding on the sidewalk on the driveway. I always worry that someone is going to pull out or in on the driveway. Way to go super mom.

Aubrielle said...

Holy Cow! That is really scary. I'm glad to hear he's okay!

Bennion Family said...

Yicks!! I am so glad your kids are okay. It is scary how fast things can happen.

Heathelyn said...

Wow! So glad you guys are ok. Who drives on reverse without looking behind them? Crazy people!

Teed Family said...

I am so glad you and the kids are safe. That is super scary. Way to be on your toes! It is amazing how the mama bear in us takes over :)
You are a great mom!

esmiley said...

Wow! Close call! I just got chills thinking about it. I'm glad everyone was okay. We miss you guys.

Robbins Family said...

That is so scary. I'm so glad everything was okay.