Friday, July 9, 2010


I thought I would start contributing to our blog.

Things are busy as usual.  I was on call Sunday and Tuesday.  When I am on call on a weekend, I show up early in the morning and complete my call duties the next morning.  Weekday call starts at 5 pm and ends the next morning.  I got a call from the trauma hospital, Wishard, Tuesday night saying a patient had a large bleed around his brain and was critically ill.  I went with one of the 3rd year residents to see him.  His right pupil was fixed and dilated (an ominous sign) and we took him straight to surgery.  We removed the right half of his skull, cut the covering around the brain and right there, sitting on the top of his pulsating brain, was a large clot.  We took it out, stopped the bleeding, put his skull back together, and sewed up his scalp.  I love my job!  

The real highlights of the week, though, were with the family.  We all went to the Zoo Friday night.  Because we have a membership, we had no concern about showing up just 50 minutes before close to enjoy the zoo in a very peaceful and uncrowded setting.  Josh loves the animals.  He is currently working on potty training, and most of his prizes are little animals.  Marie and I had a great date last night.  We had dinner at PF Chang's and went for a long walk along a recently renovated canal downtown.  

We love our home and neighborhood.  We live 2 blocks from a park with a pool.  I play basketball there every morning.  I think the neighbors wonder what crazy person gets up to play basketball 5 am.  All I have to say is, it beats the heck out of running.  One of our neighbors is 12 and loves babysitting.  We have had her come twice already.

We have a great ward.  Marie was called to play the piano in Relief Society.  Josh loves nursery.  We are making friends.  On the 4th of July, a family from our ward invited us and several other families for breakfast at their home. It was great
--John 

No comments: